Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A creative process - Halloween 101

Pictured below is the start of my Halloween card creative process.  I started by cleaning the room.  Let's face it, it needed a good cleaning.  Everytime I do that, more stuff winds up in the rummage sale pile.  Fine by me.  Out with the old, in with the new!  And, yes, there is new stuff arriving every day.  Someday soon I will blog about all the sites I like to buy from and my thoughts about each. 

I should note that everything you see layed out on the floor below is all from my historical arsenal of Halloween stuff.  None of it is new this year.  Oh, wait.  I take that back, the Unlucky 13 set is one of those Unity sets I spoke about in my last post.  But that's it.  I really wanted to use up all this stuff before I started restocking.  Fingers crossed, I think this year will do the trick. 

The theme of each card is usually the first thing I settle on.  For example, if someone says, 'I've got my eye on you'; put that in a Halloween context and what comes to mind?  Exactly!  Creapy eyeballs glowing in field of blackness, right?  Now all I have to do is find the right images, paper and embellishments to make it real.  That's how I got to the 13 piles of soon to be cards you see below.    

I'll make multiples of each style until the paper is used up.  One goes in the shoebox to pull out when magazines put out a call.  One goes in the 'My Work' acid free storage box for posterity.  All the others are either sold or sent. 

Is this how you do it?  I'm curious to find out how other creative minds work.

Enjoy! - AMK

No comments: