Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Sookwang - The Bomb for making things into stickers

In my post about the Cave upgrades I mentioned using Sookwang to stick down a felt pad to one of my tables.  If you don't know what that stuff is, it has many names, Scoretape or Scortape, or Skortape (however its spelled) is one used here in the US.  Just about every paper crafting outlet has branded some kind of rolled two-sided sticky business.  Scrapbook.com has one, Simon Says has one.  I've tried them all, and none compare to the original product from Korea branded as Sookwang.  I get it from office supply stores, online of course.  Just google it, you'll have no trouble finding it. 

Why is Sookwang my #1, you ask?  

  1. I buy it in 6" wide rolls, so two stripes of the stuff cover an entire sheet of 12x12 card stock.  Other brands are only 4" or 2" wide. If you need a 4" or 2" strip, just cut off that length from your 6" roll.  Duh.  
  2. When using the Big-Shot and any kind of die - be it wafer thin or Sizzix original - the sticky stuff does not gunk up your die.  Other brands - not so much.  I have not tried cutting paper backed with Sookwang with the Cricut. But - people cut printed stickers with their Cricut all the time. This is a bit different as you are asking the blade to not only cut the intricate shape, but also cut through a layer of sticky tape + its backing.  If you try it, you may have to let the machine cut your images more than once.  That's done by not unloading the paper when it's done cutting, instead hit the CUT button again.  As I type this, its entirely possible the other brands of sticky business I referred too earlier may actually be better for using with your Cricut.  I'll never know as I gave away the stuff that frustrated me.  I own two Cricut machines - but I am surely not married to them.  They have their place, but it's not where I live.  
  3. Pulling the backing paper off the cut product is easy compared to others.  I've had to use straight pins to help pry off the backing on other bands.  That's nuts. 
  4. Cutting Sookwang with my guillotine is super easy, and again, does not gunk up the blade.  If you get it on crooked and need to trim some of the sticky stuff out of the way, I just whack it with the guillotine and pull off the offending piece. Easy-peasy.  
  5. The rolls are huge - one lasts me for years.  I mean, I don't need a sticker every day.  But let me tell you, with this year's cookie book - (blog post coming soon) - putting all those page reinforcement holes on every single page x 26 books, you can bet I die cut them using paper backed with Sookwang!  Can you imagine gluing each one of those things one at a time by hand?  Nope.  No way.  Love Sookwang.  You will too.  



No comments: