Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Pocket Full of Miracles - Christmas Cards

It's December once again.  I finished the cookie books early this year.  A Miricale unto itself.  I took a look around the craft cave and decided it's just not working for me anymore in its current state, so I spent a little money and a lot of time and overhauled the whole damn thing.  I'll go through all that in a separate post.  But once it was done, this little Christmas pocket/card thingy jumped out as needing to be created and sent out.  Try as I might, it's not in the mail in time for St. Nick's day.  It kind of reminds me of the little things you'd put in a stocking.  

Everyone gets a unique holiday bookmark made from scraps cast off from many varied different projects over the years.  I've sent them out before, so it's not a new thing, but if you are like me, I lose them all the time.  It's fun to come across them, usually in a cookbook for me, months later.  That's the first thing. 

Next, is a clip art candy cane that I found on my computer earlier in the year when I replaced it with a new and faster model.  I love this candy cane image.  I even used it in the cookie book this year.  New in the craft cave, a Brother Scan and Cut allows me to print or stamp any image I want, and then cut it out with or without a border.  I can also cut out the shadow offset you see in blue.  However, I fussy cut those blue backgrounds this year as I had a ton of smaller scraps that worked, so rather than fuss with loading one scrap after another into the Scan and Cut, the old-fashioned hand work was much easier and faster.  Goes to show that technology has its place, but it can't do everything.  

Thirdly - I included a hand stamped holiday wish tag.  This tag was inspired by Heidi Swapp, who, if you found her on FB, you'd see her creating lovely cards and tags all starting with a blank.  She creates and sells stamp kits and class videos that you can buy and watch to create your own unique piece of stamped art.  Well, I'm sorry Heidi, but your price point is too high for your stamps, and with the embarrassingly large amount I already own, I think I can piece together something just as cool as yours.  But thank you for the 30 seconds of video you show that inspired me to give it a try.  

The last thing is the pocket itself. Now, I know we live in a digital world, but if anyone is still using the old-fashioned paper Planner, I've punched some holes in the pocket that will fit perfectly into your A5 6-ring planner binder.  Who doesn't need an extra pocket? 

One last note - I made 46 of these. That is not typical for me.  I tend to get bored with a thing and max out at 10 or 12 before moving to the next design in my head.  I think it was the variability of the bookmark and the pocket papers that kept me interested.  Every one is different.  They all tucked into an A7 envelope cut with my Big Shot Pro.  I got to use up a ton of holiday paper that's been laying around.  It's very waxy, so not really good for cards as things don't like to stick to a waxy coated paper.  But with an envelope seal, and an address label, it's great for cards.  Yeah!  Something else all used up.  



No comments: